Become a Folkmoot Guide
Position Description – Being a Folkmoot USA guide is truly the international cultural experience of a lifetime. During the two-week festival in July. Guides help our international guests get to performances, find things they need, help plan late-night parties that they host, plan and accompany them on sightseeing trips, and are responsive to just about any other needs that arise during their visit to western North Carolina. Guides also act as stage managers, emcees and souvenir salespersons at some performances. Guides stay with their assigned performance group 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Remember, this is a job, not a summer camp.
The job position is an intense two weeks that are very rewarding. Some veteran guides say that it’s the hardest job you’ll ever love. Many guides began with Folkmoot near the end of their high school career and continued through college. Some older guides take vacation from their year-round jobs just to work at Folkmoot.
The guide team, totaling about 20, is led and supervised by a director. Guides will be trained in all aspects of their job during a workshop that will be held in July prior to the festival. Applicants for the guide position must be at least 18 years old and be available to work from July 13 to July 31.
We are also looking for assistant guides. These guides can be between the ages of 14 and 17. They have duties similar to those of the Folkmoot guides but will be under supervision at all times and do not work the “24/7” schedule of guides.
Included in Guide duties:
- Work with festival group directors and Folkmoot staff members to ensure performance group compliance with Folkmoot rules, performance schedules, transportation schedules, meal schedules and other festival requirements
- Assist performance groups in planning and executing one evening of entertainment for other festival participants
- Assist performance groups in planning sightseeing and other activities during non-performance time
- Act as stage manager for some performances
- Act as emcee for some performances
- Sell Folkmoot souvenirs at some performances
- Work with Folkmoot paid and volunteer staff to execute all festival activities in a professional manner
- Closing down the building each night
- Must be 18 years or older (Assistant guides can be 14-17 years old, but work limited hours.)
- Must be available for work 24 hours a day during the festival and training.
- Must be available for 2018 training sessions, prior to festival
- Foreign language skills helpful but not required.
Applications to be a 2018 Guide are now closed.
For more information, call the Folkmoot Friendship Center at 828.452.2997.