We are looking forward to a great 2016 for Folkmoot!
It’s a new year and I wanted to be sure to thank you for all that you contribute to Folkmoot’s mission of building cultural understanding. This note is to remind you of a few highlights of our year:
- We hosted a 10-day dance heritage festival in July 2015 (for our 32nd year!), hosting groups from Chile, Estonia, Puerto Rico, Philippines, Ecuador, Cherokee, Jamaica and French Canada and producing 36 performances across Western North Carolina.
- Folkmoot developed a year-round programming schedule that includes arts and culture instructional workshops, a family-fun cultural series and seasonal events for the community. (Thanks to the Community Foundation of Western North Carolina for the additional staffing that made this possible!)
- Our team has stabilized the Historic Hazelwood Elementary School structure by replacing the roof, plastering and painting walls, refinishing floors. We’ve also replaced broken windows, plumbing and several heating units. Consider taking a tour of the Friendship Center to see our progress and learn how to get involved.
2016 will be a transformative year for Folkmoot – our resolution is to build desirable, viable and sustainable programs at the Folkmoot Friendship Center. You can also expect the following:
- Grant awards that will allow Folkmoot to make significant, much-needed upgrades to the Friendship Center for comfortable year-around use and to participate in projects that enhance our neighborhood.
- NEW instructional, creative programming that appeals to the community, school groups, youth and families.
- Musical events in our refurbished auditorium!
- Professional Artist Markets during Folkmoot and at the Friendship Center throughout the year.
- Eight to twelve preforming groups at the festival in July and visiting cultural groups at other times.
- Community partnerships that will make the Center’s commercial kitchen useful to local food producers; other partnerships that will generate unique and innovative opportunities at the Center.
Thanks for your generosity & Happy New Year to you and yours.